Saturday, January 1, 2011

Year End Dental Tax Deduction Questions

Let’s say I show 50K in profits after everything has been paid in full, including any taxes on previous distributions.

If you're referring to income taxes they are not a deduction from the practice.

Let’s say I purchase a new op before year’s end.

Chair, light, cabinets, computers, isolight and it cost 25K. Can I then depreciate the 25K I spent on the op this year at 100%?

So now I have 25K of profits left.

That would leave me with a profit of 0K on paper.

Only if you deduct it twice, which you can't.

Then I could write myself a distribution of that left over 25K without paying one cent to taxes?

Nope, you'll owe tax on $25k plus any profit you used to pay prior year income taxes.

Another question: we are looking to hire another employee. I read/watched on TV…there will be a 6 month payroll tax holiday on new hires. Is this true? Do I have to wait until Jan. 2011 to hire or can I hire now in December?

I don't think anything has been passed yet. If you need an employee then hire them. It’s that simple

This first appeared on Dentaltown.

Send your questions to Tim Lott, CPA, CVA at tlott@dentalcpas.com

For more information or to sign up for our newsletter, please contact arose@dentalcpas.com
Follow us on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest

No comments: