Monday, August 4, 2008

Deducting Dental Disability Expense on Tax Return?

I am a new associate. What are things that I can claim as a business expense? I have in the past included my malpractice insurance amount.

To deduct or not is certainly a personal choice. I won't deduct mine.

The tax savings on a few thousand dollars of premiums is a couple hundred dollars in tax savings. Sure, over 30-40 years those savings could add up, however, the potential tax cost on potential benefits paid over a year or two would likely eat those savings up.

I have a client that's been collecting over $140k in disability for 20 years now, at an average tax rate (fed & state) of +-25%......

The tax cost over 2 years is approx. $70,000, thank goodness he didn't deduct his premiums.....

This post first appeared on DentalTown.

Send your questions to Tim Lott, CPA, CVA at tlott@dentalcpas.com

For more information or to sign up for our newsletter, please contact arose@dentalcpas.com
Follow us on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest

No comments: