Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dentist Wants to Know How to Write Off Business Expense of Automobile

My wife travels once or twice a week to our removable lab 185 miles round trip, as well as travels to the nearest large city 85 miles round trip for supplies for the office once or twice a week.  I bought an old beater for 2300 dollars a couple of years ago that just died that we were using. Last week I had to trade my car in due to a wreck. Is there any legal way to write off a portion of this new car?

Absolutely! There's nothing illegal about deducting the business use of one’s automobile.

Here's a link to IRS.gov where you can search for how to deduct auto expenses.

If you have been using your vehicles for business use and not deducting the expenses I wonder what else you're not deducting and could be? I'd also wonder how much you'd be able to get back in taxes by amending some prior year returns.

This first appeared on Dentaltown.

For more information, please contact info@dentalcpas.com

No comments: